Since 2009 we have been dealing directly with Sporting Professionals, and we are proud to offer our consultancy for Sports Licensing.
Sports Licensing is a contractual agreement by which a sports team or organization gives a company a license to use its name, logo or trademark on your company’s products. The power of a professional sports license will provide your business with an opportunity to reach a wide and targeted audience by exploring new markets, distribution channels, and target audiences.
Focus Group has years of experience in the sector with the signing of both the NHL and MLB. We are capable of managing the process throughout all of its phases (strategic, contractual and operational) in order to ensure that the value of the brand is enhanced to the maximum, and the best economic results are achieved.
Sponsor and/or License Negotiations
There are several main factors when negotiating for a sports sponsorship and/or license; the following are just a few items that intense detail will have to be taken.
1) Exclusivity: Product association with a Sports Brand is one of the primary reasons for sponsorships or to become a Licensee. When establishing a new license or sponsorship, the Licensor may have competing interests.
2) Duration of Sponsorship: If the sponsorship agreement is for a relatively long period of time, it may be appropriate to include a break clause to allow either party the opportunity to terminate the agreement without cause.
3) Options to Renew: Renewal provisions can vary widely, but they usually include the ability of one or both of the parties to renew the agreement for a period of time with relatively few items to be renegotiated.
4) Rights of First Negotiation: These provisions typically involve a requirement that the Licensor negotiates in good faith with the sponsor / licensee about renewing or extending the agreement before the property owner can offer the same sponsorship / license rights on the open market.
5) Fees: Calculation of sponsorship / license fees is another important point which both parties should reach consensus on before any written agreement is entered into. We can assist with all of the above and work directly with our contacts to ensure a mutual beneficial agreement.